Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Baked Salmon with Horseradish Jelly




Baked Salmon with Horseradish Jelly

Prep time: 5 minutes
Baking time: 20 minutes or so depending on the size and thickness of the salmon fillet

Serves ....figure a 2- 3" per person

Ingredients:
Salmon fillet either a large one that you will cut at the table or smaller pre-cut ones per person.
Horseradish jelly (I use Tangled Garden's, but you can use whatever spicy jelly you like to give both the kick and sweetness at the same time.

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F/230°C

2. Rinse and pat dry the salmon and lay skin side down on a baking sheet with sides or roasting pan.

3. Slather some jelly all over the top of the salmon and bake for 20 minutes or until the salmon is cooked so that the center is slightly darker in color than the outside.

4. Coat with some more jelly and turn the broiler on (or use a torch) to caramelize the jelly even more.

Serve with extra jelly at the table.

Related links:

3 comments:

PatL said...

Hi, Ruth, I found your blog through your entry in the Weekend Cookbook Challenge. I printed your chowder recipe and I'm ready to print this one for trying too! I think salmon and horseradish are the most divine combination, can't wait to try this!

I spent a few summertime vacations up on Big Tancook Island off the point where Chester is, and there's a fabulous little restaurant near there called The Seaside Shanty that makes really incredible chowder. If you get in the neighborhood, you simply must try it! All their food is good, but the chowder is so good I kind of mourn whenever I think of it, because I'm not there to have another bowl.

Unknown said...

Mmmm. Nothing goes better with salmon than jelly.

Ruth Daniels said...

Pati, I do hope the chowder came close to the one at the Seaside Shanty. I'll definitely have to head out to Big Tancook Island to check it out. Of course I think I'll wait until the weather warms up (it's January and beyond freezing cold).

Jennifer - you are so right - nothing like jelly on salmon, unless you try some honey mustard with a hit of maple syrup!

Thanks ladies for dropping by.