Oven Baked Potato and Pear Rosti
Inspired by The Greengrocer's Kitchen – Vegetables and Herbs by Pete Luckett
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
1 lb/300g medium sized potatoes, scrubbed
2 firm but ripe pears
1 tbsp lemon juice
Salt & pepper
1 tbsp flour
3 tbsp melted butter
1. Parboil (still firm when pierced with a knife) whole unpeeled potatoes for about 8 minutes. Drain and set aside to cool slightly.
2. Preheat oven to 425°F/220°C and set the oven rack at the highest level.
3. Peel, core and coarsely grate the pears into a large mixing bowl, tossing them with lemon juice so they won’t turn brown.
4. Peel the cooled potatoes and grate them into the pears. Toss well and drain well, squeezing out excess liquid. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
5. Shape the mixture into 8 balls and flatten them into thin patties. Place the flour on a plate and press the patties into the flour to coat both sides. I found them very sticky and had to add a lot more flour than was suggested. I also think the patties should be very thin so they will come out crispy. Ours were a little too soft and mushy to work with. I needed extra flour.
6. Brush a baking pan with melted butter and arrange the patties on the pan and brush with some more of the melted butter.