Monday, October 16, 2006
Cherry Tomato & Zucchini Pie with Manchego Crust
Cherry Tomato, Boccocini & Zucchini Pie with Manchego Cheese Crust
Prep time: 1 hour
Bake time: 45 minutes
Cheese Short Crust (makes enough for 8 -4” double crust pie shells or 1 – 10” pie
2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
½ cup grated Manchego or Parmesan cheese
Pinch of sugar
1 tsp coarse salt
¾ cup (1 ½ sticks) cold unsalted butter
1 egg yolk
¼ - ½ cup ice water
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 shallot, finely chopped (about ¼ cup)
1 small zucchini halved lengthwise and cut across to ½“ thick half-moons
1 ½ lb/ 680 g cherry tomatoes
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
4 oz/ 115 g bocconcini cheese
3 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
1 tsp lemon zest, finely grated
¼ cup plus 2 tbsp all purpose flour (plus more for work surface)
1 tbsp sugar
Coarse salt and pepper
1 tbsp heavy cream + 1 egg yolk (for wash to golden the tart during baking)
1. Pulse flour, cheese, sugar, salt, and butter in a food processor until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add egg yolk; pulse to combine.
2. With processor running, drizzle in 1/4 cup water until dough just comes together. (If dough is still crumbly, add up to 1/4cup more water, 1 tablespoon than 20 seconds. Wrap in plastic.
3. Refrigerate until cold, about 30 minutes.
1. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add shallot; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add zucchini; cook, stirring occasionally, until light golden and liquid has been released, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl; set aside.
2. Halve one-third of the tomatoes. Stir halved and whole tomatoes, cheeses, basil, lemon zest, flour, and sugar into shallot-zucchini mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
3. Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to a 13-inch circle, about ¼-inch thick. Make seven 3-inch-long cuts around edge of dough, evenly spacing. Trim to make 7 rounded flaps.
4. Transfer to a 10-inch pie plate. Drizzle crust with remaining tablespoon oil.
5. Spread with filling. Fold in flaps of crust, slightly overlapping.
6. Refrigerate until cold, about 20 minutes.
7. Preheat oven to 375°F/190°C.
8. Whisk cream and egg yolk in a small bowl. Brush crust with egg wash. Bake pie on a rimmed baking sheet until crust is golden brown and juices are bubbling, about 45 minutes.
Serve hot or at room temperature.
Related links: Food and Drink recipes vegetabledairy