Leek, Mushroom & Swiss Chard Soup
Inspired by The Joy of Cooking & my fridge
Prep time: 20 minutes
Simmer time: 20 minutes
3 large leeks (4 cups/ 12 oz/ 320 g), halved length-wise, sliced across, rinsed and drained.
2 tbsp canola oil (or butter if you’re not worried about calories)
4 cups/8 oz/200g Swiss Chard or spinach (packed - leaves only), chopped
4 cups/8 oz/200g fresh mushrooms, chopped
4 cups/1 liter/ 35 fluid oz. vegetable (or chicken) stock/broth
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp dried thyme
½ - 1 cup milk or cream
1. In a Dutch oven or large soup pot, sauté the leeks in oil or butter until they are soft and semi-translucent (8-10 minutes).
2. Add the mushrooms and 1 more tbsp oil or butter, toss and sauté for 5 minutes.
3. Add the Swiss Chard and stir several times until the leaves are wilted.
4. Add the vegetable broth, cover and simmer over medium low heat for 20 minutes or so.
5. Add ½ cup of the milk, taste for seasoning and add more milk if desired.
Serve with some crusty bread (multigrain if you’re doing South Beach Diet) and a simple salad.
Related links: Food and Drink recipes soup vegetable