Mini Jalapeno Corn Muffins
from Every Kitchen Tells Its Stories
Hands-on time: 10-15 minutes
Total baking time: 20-40 minutes
Makes 4 dozen muffins or 1 8"x8" cake
1 stick unsalted butter, melted
¾ cup buttermilk
2 large eggs
½ cup sour cream
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup all purpose flour
½ cup brown sugar, packed
2 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp coarse salt
3 large jalapeno peppers, finely chopped
1/3 cup frozen or canned corn niblets (drained) (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 375°F/180°c
2. Whisk together buttermilk, eggs and sour cream in a medium sized bowl and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, brown sugar, salt, jalapenos (and corn, optional).
4. With a rubber spatula, quickly and lightly, fold buttermilk mixture into cornmeal mixture until well combined. Quickly fold in melted butter.
5. Line mini muffin tins with paper liners. Fill each cup with muffin mixture. Bake until tooth pick comes out clean and dry, about 12-13 minutes per batch.
6. Turn out onto cake rack to slightly cool before serving.
Tips & Variations
Combine 1 cup milk and 1 tbsp lemon juice and let it sit for 10-15 minutes.
Regular muffins: If you want to make regular sized muffins, this recipe will make 1 to 1 ½ dozen muffins. Bake for about 25 minutes. Follow the same tooth pick test for doneness.
Classic Cornbread: lightly grease an 8x8” square Ovenproof or glass cake pan and line with parchment paper so the cornbread won’t stick. Bake at 350°F for 30 -40 minutes.
Related links: Food and Drink recipes bread