Herb Oat Bread
Adapted from Quick Vegetarian Pleasures
The texture is more like a cake than a bread, but the taste is awesome
Hands-on time: 5-10 minutes
Baking time: 40 minutes
Cooling time: 30 minutes
Makes 1 loaf
1¼ cups rolled oats
1 cup unbleached flour
¼ cup whole wheat flour (next time I’ll just use 1¼ cups whole wheat flour)
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
¾ tsp salt
½ tsp dried basil
½ tsp dried oregano
½ tsp dried dill
¼ tsp dried rosemary leaves, crumbled
¼ cup vegetable oil
¼ cup honey
1¼ cups plain low-fat yoghurt
2 large eggs, beaten
1. Pre heat the oven to 375°F/190°C and spray a 9x5 loaf pan with cooking spray
2. Place the oats in a blender or food processor and grind until the texture of flour. Pour into a large mixing bowl and add all the dry ingredients (flours to herbs).
3. In a small saucepan, combine the oil and honey and heat until just blended. Remove from heat and stir in the yoghurt and eggs. Pour into the flour mixture and stir until evenly moistened. DO NOT OVERBEAT.
4. Scrape into the prepared loaf pan and bake for about 40 minutes until the bread is golden and the toothpick test (stick it into the center of the bread) comes out dry.
5. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes before removing from pan and then let it completely cook before slicing.
Related links: Food and Drink> South Beach Diet > recipes bread