Blueberry Flax “Muffins”
Adapted from Cholesterol DOWN
Hands-on time: 5 minutes
Baking time: 45 minutes (or until the toothpick comes out clean)
Makes 1 square pan or 12 muffins
¾ cup oat bran
1 cup light soy milk
¼ cup egg substitute ( I did use 1 whole egg instead)
¾ cup unsweetened applesauce
¼ cup canola oil
½ cup raisins
1 cup frozen blueberries (unsweetened, slightly thawed) I discovered after starting to thaw the berries that I didn’t have some of the other ingredients, so they were well thawed and that’s why the batter turned such a dark purple-y grey color.
½ cup sugar (Splenda would work fine too)
½ cup all purpose flour
½ cup whole wheat flour
½ cup ground flaxseeds
½ cup brown sugar
1 tsp baking soda
¼ tsp cinnamon
1. Pre heat the oven to 400°F/200°C and spray a 8”x8” oven-proof pan (or 12 cup muffin tin) with cooking spray.
2. Combine the first 6 ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Fold in the blueberries, gently stirring until coated.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the rest of the dry ingredients and mix well.
4. Combine both mixtures and stir just until well blended. Pour the batter into the cake pan (or 2/3 full for each muffin cup).
5. Bake for 45 minutes for the cake pan or 20 minutes for the muffins. Test for doneness by sticking a wooden toothpick in the center. If it comes out dry, the muffins/cake is done. The top(s) should be dark golden in color. The “cake” should have deep cracks when done. Cool on a cake rack.
Related links: Food and Drink> South Beach Diet > recipes bread cholesterol