Adapted from Better Food for Pregnancy
Hands-on time: 10 minutes
Total Baking time: 80-90 minutes
Makes 24 biscotti
1½ cups all-purpose flour
½ cup cornmeal
1 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
1 cup granulated sugar (Splenda would work if you’re dieting)
½ cup butter
Zest of 1 large lemon, finely grated
½ tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp crystallized ginger, chopped
½ cup sliced almonds, plus some more to sprinkle on top during the first baking
1. Preheat oven to 325° F/170°C and line a lipped baking sheet with foil (I hate having to clean pans).
2. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt.
3. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat sugar, butter, lemon zest and vanilla until smooth. Add the eggs, one at a time, incorporating the first before adding the next. Stir in the flour mixture until a soft dough forms. It will be very sticky. Mix in the ginger and almonds.
4. Divide the batter in half and place them on the cookie sheets at least 3” apart. They will spread during the baking. Sprinkle the tops with more sliced almonds and gently pat them into the surface of the loaves. Bake for 30 minutes or until the tops are lightly golden. Remove from the oven and allow the loaves to cool to room temperature on the cookie sheet.
5. Reduce the oven temperature to 275°F/140°C. Once the loaves are cool, remove them to a cutting board and slice them into ½ “ pieces. Use a serrated knife, so it won’t crumble as you slice.
6. Arrange them cut side down on the cookie sheet and bake for 30 minutes or so. The tops will be dry and very lightly golden. Flip them and now the tops (previously the bottoms, will be nice and toasty-looking. Bake an additional 20 minutes. Transfer to a rack and cool.
Related links: Food and Drink Easy Cooking Weekend Cookbook Challenge Recipes Breads Dessert
Saturday, June 09, 2007