Cornmeal Apple Cake
From Better Homes & Gardens Special Interest Publication - Italian
Prep time: 30 minutes
Baking time: 45-50 minutes
Cooling time: 40 minutes
¼ cup unsalted butter
3 cups peeled, cored & sliced apples
1/3 cup raisins
2 tbsp granulated sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
¾ cup fine cornmeal
¾ cup all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
¾ cup softened unsalted butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla
4 large eggs
1/3 cup sour cream
1 tbsp milk
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F/170°C and grease the sides and bottom of a 9” springform pan.
2. In a large skillet, melt the ¼ cup of butter over medium heat. Add the apples and raisins and cook for about 8 minutes or until the apples are just tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
3. In a small bowl stir together 2 tbsp sugar & 1 tsp cinnamon. Add to the apples in the skillet and toss well. Remove from the stove.
1. In a medium bowl, stir together cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt.
2. In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add the 1 cup sugar and vanilla and beat until well combined. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the sour cream and milk and beat until combines. Fold in the flour mixture.
3. Pour 2/3 of the batter into the prepared pan. Add the apple mixture evenly on top. Pour over the remaining batter over the apples, spreading evenly.
4. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until the top turns golden and a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
5. Transfer the pan to a cooling rack and let it rest for 20 minutes. Run a knife around the edges and remove the sides and cool for another 20 minutes.
Related links: Food and Drink Easy Cooking recipes dessertcake