Monday, September 17, 2007
Joan Nathan's Praline Lick Your FIngers Kugel
Joan Natha's Praline Lick-Your-Fingers Kugel
From Jewish Cooking in America
Hands on time: 30 minutes
Baking time: 1 hour
Rest time: 15-20 minutes
¾ cup salted butter, melted
¾ cup dark brown sugar
1 cup pecan halves
1 lb/ 450 g wide egg noodles
4 large eggs
1 tsp cinnamon
½ cup sugar
2 tsp salt
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C
2. Boil the noodles according to package directions and drain.
3. In the meantime, pour half the melted butter into a 12 cup mold or tube pan ( I use a spring form pan). Swirl it around the bottom and up the sides.
4. Press the brown sugar into the bottom and then press the pecans on top.
5. In a large bowl, mix the eggs, remaining melted butter, cinnamon, regular sugar and salt and add the noodles. Mix well and pour into the prepared pan.
6. Bake for 1 hour or so until the top is golden. Let it sit for 15-20 minutes before unmolding. Loosen the sides with a knife, place a large cake plate over the mold, carefully turn over.
The top will become slightly hardened like praline. I like to serve it at room temperature, but it can also be served cold.