Chicken & Mushroom Frittata
Prep time :5 minutes
Baking time: 10 -15 minutes
Serves 2-4 (2 as a main dish, 4 with salad or part of a brunch)
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
1 cup cooked chicken, cut into cubes
1 cup sliced cremini mushrooms
5 large eggs, well blended with1 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp pesto
1 cup coarsely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
Freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350°F/ 180°C
2. In a medium-sized bowl whisk the eggs with 1 tbsp oil and pesto until well blended. Set aside.
3. Over medium high heat, sauté the onion and mushrooms in a little olive oil in a small-medium sized non-stick, oven-proof skillet (about 5 minutes). Add the cooked chicken and toss for another minute. Then add the egg mixture and continue to cook until the frittata starts to set the top looks moist, but not wet. I usually lift the edges and tip the pan so that the liquid touches the dry, hot pan. This speeds up the setting process without burning the bottom of the frittata (4-5 minutes).
4. Sprinkle first with handfuls of grated cheese and bake for 15 minutes or until it’s completely set in the center and becomes golden.
6. Using a spatula, ease the frittata around the edges and under the bottom to make sure it won’t stick when you slide it onto a serving plate.
Related links: Food and Drink recipes South Beach Diet eggs vegetarian