Moroccan Chickpea & Orzo Soup
Adapted from Fresh at Home
Hands-on time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20-25 minutes (I let it simmer longer, but it really was ready in less than 30 minutes)
2 tbsp olive oil
2 medium onions, diced
3 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
3 large cloves garlic, minced
¼ tsp each:
1 tomato, coarsely chopped
½ cup red lentils
8 cups roasted vegetable stock (it is worth the effort, but if you can’t …use your favorite vegetable broth)
1 can (19 oz/540 ml) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 can (19 oz/540 ml) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
½ cup orzo or other small pasta (I wanted to find stars or something, but the local grocery was out)
Salt & pepper to taste
Lemon juice – at serving
Garnish: fresh mint, chopped
1. I throw the onions, garlic and ginger into my food processor to do the chopping.
2. Heat the oil at medium heat in a Dutch oven. Add the onions, ginger & garlic and cook for 5 minutes or until the onions are softened.
3. Stir in the spices and cook for a couple of minutes. It should smell awesome.
4. Add the tomato, lentils and vegetable stock. Cook for at least 15 minutes, or until the lentils are softened and then add the chickpeas, kidney beans and pasta. Cook for about 5-8 minutes or until the pasta is cooked.
5. Remove from the heat and taste for seasoning. Squirt some lemon juice in each bowl and garnish with chopped mint or parsley. The lemon juice really brings this to life – don’t leave it out!
Related links: Food and Drink Easy Cooking recipes soup