Cranberry Pistachio & Ginger Loaf
Adapted from Jumbo Empanadas
Prep time: 10 minutes
Baking time: 1 hour 10 minutes
Makes 1 loaf
Nonstick vegetable oil spray
1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
1 cup white whole wheat flour or regular whole wheat flour
1 cup medium-grind whole grain cornmeal or regular cornmeal
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup pistachios, shelled and chopped
3/4 cup dried cranberries (about 4 ounces)
1/3 – ½ cup crystallized ginger, coarsely chopped
1. Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350°F/180°C. Spray 9x5x3-inch metal loaf pan with nonstick spray.
2. Whisk both flours, cornmeal, sugar, salt, and baking powder in large bowl. Whisk buttermilk, melted butter, maple syrup, eggs, and extract in medium bowl. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture; stir just until blended. Stir in 3/4 cup chopped pecans, ginger and cranberries.
3. Spoon batter into pan. Arrange pecan halves in row down center of batter. I didn’t have any handy.
4. Bake bread until top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into center of bread comes out clean, tenting bread loosely with foil if browning too quickly, about 1 hour 10 minutes
5. Allow it to cool for 5 minutes in the pan and then remove and let the loaf rest on a rack until cooled.