Multigrain Fusili with Garlicky Shrimp, Mushrooms & Spinach
Adapted from fineCooking Magazine May 2008
Total time: 20 minutes
Your favorite pasta… I used multigrain fusilli this to,e (1 cup raw pasta per person)
1 lb/450g large shrimp, peeled
Juice & zest of 1 lemon
¼ - ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
¼ cup garlic, thinly sliced
2 -3 cups cremini mushrooms, sliced
5oz/175g baby spinach
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
½ cup white wine
¼ cup fresh basil, coarsely chopped
½ tsp red chili pepper flakes
1. Cook the pasta in salted boiling water until al dente (check the package for time – usually 7-8 minutes)
2. While the water is coming to a boil, toss shrimp and lemon juice in a bowl and set aside to marinate.
3. At the same time, in a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-low heat and slowly sauté the garlic for about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms, raise the heat to medium-high and sauté until they brown (about another 5 minutes). Add the tomatoes and cook until they soften. Next, add the shrimp, and cook for 3 minutes or so, tossing so they get pink on all sides. Time for the spinach – this only takes a minute or two to wilt.
4. Add the wine, the chili pepper flakes, basil, and sauté until the sauce thickens (2-3 minutes).
4. Once the pasta is cooked, drain and place in a serving bowl and toss with the sauce, taste for additional seasoning and serve.