Healthy Hearty Roasted Tomato & Carrot Soup with Navy Beans
Prep time: 5 minutes
Simmer time: 20 minutes
1 can (28oz/794g) fire roasted crushed tomatoes (I like Muir’s organic)
1 can (14oz/389ml) navy beans, rinsed and drained
1-2 cups roasted new carrots (see note for roasting instructions), cut into 1” coins
1-3 cups vegetable broth (I used Pacific Organic, this time…no time for homemade…no room in the freezer either) amount depends on how thick/thin you like your soup
2 large cloves roasted garlic, (see note for roasting instructions), mashed
½ - 1 tsp crushed red chili pepper flakes
Grated Asiago cheese
Freshly chopped parsley
Freshly ground black pepper
1. In a large pot, sauté combine everything, heat over medium low for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season to taste and add more vegetable broth if necessary to get the consistency you like.
Sprinkle with grated cheese and parsley and serve with a side salad or crusty bread
To roast carrots and garlic:
1. Preheat oven to 400°F/200°C and cover a rimmed cookie sheet with tin foil (for easy clean up)
2. Scrub small carrots but do not peel, lay in a single layer on the cookie sheet, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle some freshly ground pepper and salt.
3. Cut the top off the garlic head, exposing a small part of the garlic “meat”, place cut side up on a square of tin foil, drizzle with olive oil and close the foil package. Place on the same cookie sheet.
4. Roast for about 15 minutes, carrots should be tender but not mushy, and the garlic soft. I find that some carrots are larger than others, so I remove the cooked ones from the oven while the larger ones finish up.