Roasted Beets & Pumpkin Soup
Hands-on time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes (add 30-90 minutes to roast the beets which can be roasted 1-2 days before)
Ingredients:1 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp unsalted butter
3 leeks, white parts only, cleaned, halved lengthwise and sliced across
20oz/600g roasted beets (see below for roasting instructions)
1” fresh ginger, peeled and grated
1 cup cooked pumpkin or squash puree
8 cups chicken or vegetable broth (you might want more if you like a thinner soup)
2 sprigs fresh thyme
Salt & pepper to taste
Juice of 1 lemon
To roast beets: preheat oven to 400°F/200°C
1. Scrub beets and toss with a little olive oil, salt & pepper
2. Roast until soft (depending on the size of the beets, anywhere from 30-90 minutes)
3. Once beets are cooked, allow them to cool enough to handle and peel
Soup:1. In a Dutch oven over medium-low heat, melt the butter in olive oil and then add the leeks, sauté until they are soft and translucent. Don’t let them burn.
2. Once the leeks are soft, add the beets, pumpkin, ginger & thyme and sauté for another 3-4 minutes. Add the broth and lemon juice and heat through.
3. Puree the beets in the broth and return to stove. Simmer until ready to serve.