Roasted Salmon with Tamari Orange Marinade
From The Healthiest Meals on Earth
Prep time: 5 minutes
Marinating time: 4 hours to overnight
Roasting time: 15-20 minutes (Ruth’s note: the author broils the salmon for about 15 minutes)
Broil time: (just to glaze the fish) – 3-4 minutes
4 individual salmon fillets (I usually make more to have for cold salmon sandwiches or salads)
1/3 cup dry white wine (I didn’t have any handy, so I used Shaoxing (Asian) cooking wine
2 tbsp low sodium tamari (or barring that, soy sauce)
1/3 cup orange juice – preferably freshly squeezed
3 tbsp freshly grated gingerroot
¼ cup green onions/scallions, chopped
1-2 tsp raw honey
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1. Combine all the marinade ingredients in a small bowl.
2. Place the salmon, skin side down in a baking dish. Pour the marinade over the fish and cover. Marinate in the fridge for at least 4 hours. Overnight is fine too.
3. Preheat the oven to 450°F/220°C
4. Remove the fish from the fridge about 30 minutes before roasting and place the salmon, without any marinade on a rimmed baking sheet- I always line mine with foil for easy cleanups.
5. Roast the salmon for 15-20 minutes or until the flesh is light pink throughout. (Ruth’s note: In the meantime, place the marinade in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes to “cook” any fish juice and to thicken the marinade.
6. Turn the broiler on, brush some of the marinade in the pan over the fish and brown the top for a minute or two.
I served it with cauli-fried “rice” and steamed yellow beans with Toasted Almonds and Pomegranate Mint Dressing