Chocolate Nut Cookies
From The Seven Sins of Chocolate
Hands-on time: 15 minutes
Refrigeration time: at least 2 hours, can keep in the fridge for at least a week…if that’s possible in your house!
Baking time: 12 minutes or until golden, if you like your cookies chewy, then just until the edges are lightly browned – 10 minutes or so.
Makes 5 dozen cookies
14 tbsp (1¾ sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature
1½ cups confectioners sugar (icing sugar)
1 cup soft dark brown sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature
3¼ cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
10oz/283g bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 cup whole blanched almonds, coarsely chopped (I used sliced almonds)
1 cup walnuts (I actually used pecan pieces instead)
1. Pre heat the oven to 350°F/170°C about 20 minutes before baking and prepare rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper for easy cleanup.
2. Beat the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Sift the flour, baking soda, and salt and stir into the butter mixture.
3. Coarsely chop the chocolate and nuts and mix them into the dough.
4. Shape the dough into logs about 2” in diameter. Wrap each log in plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled and firm, at least 2 hours.
5. Unwrap the dough and cut into rounds about ½” thick. Place 1” apart on the prepared baking sheet. Bake until golden brown (about 12 minutes) or less if you like them chewy.
6. Transfer to a wire rack and cool. Store in an airtight container.