Chocolate Spice Loaf
More of a tea or coffee cake than a rich dessert cake
From The Seven Sins of Chocolate
Hands-on time: 10 minutes
Baking time: 45 minutes or until the toothpick comes out clean
Makes 1 loaf
¾ cup wildflower honey
1¾ cups all purpose flour
½ cup rye flour
¼ cup Dutch processed cocoa powder
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice or ½ tsp each ground cinnamon, cloves, cardamom and ginger
1 large egg
½ cup milk
5 tbsp unsalted butter, softened (that’s ½ cup + 1 tbsp)
½ cup pecans or walnuts, toasted and chopped (optional)
1. Pre heat the oven to 350°F/170°C and prepare a 8”x4” loaf pan (rub with butter and then lightly flour).
2. In a small saucepan, bring the honey to a boil and then remove it from the stove. Allow to cool to lukewarm.
3. In a large bowl, sift together both flours, cocoa powder, baking powder and spices.
4. Using an electric mixer and another bowl, beat the sugar and egg on high speed until the sugar mixture turns light yellow. Add the milk and butter and then the warm honey on a lower speed so you don’t have batter everywhere.
5. Stir in the dry ingredients (this is where I’d add the nuts) with a wooden spoon and mix well until smooth.
6. Pour in to the prepared loaf pan and bake in the center of the oven for 45 minutes. Test for doneness by sticking a wooden toothpick in the center. If it comes out dry, it’s done, if not keep checking every five minutes or so.
7. Cool in the pan on a cake rack for 5 minutes. Remove from the pan and continue to cool completely.