Sunday, October 26, 2008

Greens Catalan Style


Greens Catalan Style
Adapted from Spain…On the Road Again, Episode 6

Serves 2 to 3
Prep time: 5-10 minutes (to clean and chop the greens)
Cooking time: 8-10 minutes (depending on the greens…spinach & beet greens are more delicate than chard, so need a little less time)

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons pine nuts
3 tablespoons dried currants ( I also mixed in some Barberries-also known as Zereshk(Middle Eastern tart dried berries)
1 large bunch spinach &/or Swiss chard, beet greens, washed and spun mostly dry (leave enough water to help cook the greens)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1-2 tbsp good balsamic vinegar (my favorite…Boates Balsamic apple cider vinegar)

Directions:
1. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the nuts and currants and stir for a minute or two, until the nuts start to brown.

2. Add the spinach, in batches if necessary, and stir and cook until the spinach is nicely wilted, 5 minutes or so. Add the vinegar, toss, and taste.

Season with salt and pepper, and serve.

I love it served as a bed for roasted salmon.

1 comment:

Mary Coleman said...

Love this. I had a hard time watching that show. It just didn't get off the ground with me, but this recipe may get me back to my dvr and try it again! I'm so into dark greens this year.