Sunday, October 05, 2008

Salmon Pesto Burgers

Salmon Pesto Burgers
From Burgers by Paul Gayler

Prep time: 5 minutes
Fridge time: 30 minutes or more
Cook time: 6-8 minutes

Makes 6 burgers

Ingredients:
1 ½ lb/600g fresh raw salmon fillet, skinless and boneless, cut into large chunks
2 tbsp pesto
1 egg white
1 cup fresh breadcrumbs or …my favorite Panko (Japanese style) breadcrumbs
1 shallot, peeled and finely chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
Olive oil for frying

Directions:
1. Place everything except the oil into the food processor and pulse until the salmon is finely chopped but not pureed. If it’s not completely well blended, finish using your hands or a big spoon. Chill for at least 30 minutes in the fridge before cooking.

2. Lightly coat the burgers with a little more Panko crumbs. I probably should have used my Griddler, but this sort of reminded me of the salmon patties my mom used to make when I was a kid…hers was from a can…but I digress…so I fried them in a little olive oil in a non stick skillet. You only need to cook them for 3 minutes per side. Don’t over cook them. The extra Panko makes the crust really crispy.

The book got very fancy and served them open faced on a slice of toasted focaccia with a dollop of mascarpone and some roasted asparagus spears. We just slathered some mayo and basil pesto mustard on a hamburger bun…delicioso!

No comments: