The South Beach Diet Friendly Arugula & Mushroom Omelet
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
5 large eggs, beaten
1 tbsp olive oil
½ cup leftover caramelized onion & mushrooms (mine is from Onion Mushroom Quesadillas, but any rich leftover cooked veggies would work well)
½ - 1 tsp pureed chipotle in adobo
1 tbsp roasted red pepper pesto
1 cup baby arugula leaves
½-1cup grated cheese (this time I used Swiss, but crumbled feta would also be delicious)
1. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Heat up the leftovers, chipotle and pesto for 1-2 minutes, just to heat through. Add the arugula and allow to wilt, tossing frequently. Set aside in a small bowl and rinse out the skillet. Squeeze out any excess liquid before adding the mixture to the eggs.
1. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to same skillet; heat over medium-high heat.
2. Add beaten eggs and cook until eggs are just set in center, tilting skillet and lifting edges of omelet with spatula to let uncooked portion flow underneath, about 3 minutes.
3. Sprinkle half of cheese over half of omelet, then top with filling and then add the remaining cheese.
4. Using spatula, fold uncovered half of omelet over cheese; slide onto plate. Sprinkle with a little freshly ground black pepper and serve.