Farfalle with Garlic Butter Shrimp & Pancetta
Adapted from Delicious - Australia
Prep/Cook time: 15-20 minutes
1 box (10oz/300g) whole wheat Farfalle (or whatever your short favorite is)
2oz/60g unsalted butter, softened
2 large cloves garlic, minced
Juice of half lemon
¼ cup fresh basil, chopped (plus some extra for garnish)
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
3oz/85g pancetta, roughly chopped
1lb/500g shrimp, roughly chopped (I used large shrimp, just because that’s what I always have in my freezer. For this recipe…size really doesn’t matter. It’s all about the flavor, so choose your favorite)
1. Cook the pasta in salted water in a large Dutch oven.
2. In the meantime, mash the butter, basil, lemon juice and garlic in a small bowl and set aside.
3. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large skillet and add the pancetta. Cook until crispy over medium high heat (3-4 minutes). Remove pancetta from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside. Do not toss the pancetta drippings left in the skillet.
4. To the pancetta drippings, add half the garlic butter mixture. Once the butter is melted, add the shrimp and sauté until pink (usually 2-3 minutes should do the trick). Note: this step should be done when the pasta is almost done so that neither the pasta or the shrimp are overcooked.
5. Drain the pasta and add it to the shrimp. Add the pancetta and the rest of the garlic butter. Toss and serve garnished with extra basil.
This dish is very flavorful - frankly one of my all-time favorite, so I don't like to serve it with anything that might detract from it or fight for center stage. A simple salad with oil and a touch of champagne vinegar or lemon juice is all you need.