From The Healthy Kitchen
Hands-on time: 5 minutes
Baking time: 15-20 minutes
Makes 10 scones
1 large egg
½ cup sugar
5 tbsp canola or grapeseed oil
¼ tsp lemon zest
½ cut oatmeal (not instant)
¼ cup wheat bran (I actually used oat bran)
1 ½ cups unbleached white flour (I used ¾ cup whole wheat, ¾ cup unbleached all purpose)
2 tbsp millet (I didn’t have any so I added 2 tbsp sunflower seeds instead)
2 tbsp poppy seeds
½ tsp salt
1 tbsp baking powder
½ tsp cinnamon
1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped (optional, but delicious)
½ cup dried blueberries (my addition)
½ cup milk
Zesty Lemon Topping: (I didn’t make any topping and they were very tasty plain)
3 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
¼ cup confectioner’s sugar (powdered sugar)
1. Pre heat the oven to 375°F/190°C and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl whisk the egg, sugar and oil.
3. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until a thick dough is formed (mine was crumbly and dry, but don’t worry about it). Add the milk and mix well. The dough will be very firm.
4. Scoop up large spoonfuls of the dough and drop onto the baking sheet leaving about 2” of space between them (10 scones).
5. Bake for 12-15 minutes. The scones should be barely golden and dry. Remove from the oven.
6. Cool on a cake rack for 10 minutes.
If you like sweet topping….mix the lemon juice and sugar with a for until the sugar is melted. Drizzle 1 tbsp over each scone.