Thai-style Chicken, Shrimp & Corn Cakes with Sweet Chili Sauce
from Ainsley Harriott's Fresh and Fabulous Meals in Minutes
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Makes 16 pieces
2 chicken breasts, skinless boneless
9oz/250g raw tiger shrimp, peeled & deveined (doesn’t really matter what size as they’ll be pulsed in a food processor)
1 egg white
1 clove of garlic, minced
1-3 tbsp Thai red curry paste (just depends on how hot you like things)
2oz/50g fresh breadcrumbs (I use Panko crumbs)
1 can (7oz/195g) corn niblets, drained
2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
4 green onions (spring onions), sliced
2 tbsp sunflower or canola oil
1 lime, cut in wedges to serve
Sweet Chili Sauce:
4 tbsp sweet chili sauce (I like the Thai style)
1 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp Asian fish sauce
2” piece cucumber, peeled, seeded and finely chopped (optional)
Preheat oven to 400°F/200°C and line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil for easy cleanup.
1. Roughly chop the chicken breasts and place in the bowl of a food processor. Add the shrimp, egg white, garlic and curry paste. Process until finely chopped.
2. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and add the breadcrumbs, corn, cilantro and green onions and mix well.
3. Using wet hands, shape the mixture into patties (should make 16 small ones – they’ll cook quicker).
4. To make the chili sauce: mix the 3 sauces together in a bowl and then add the cucumber (if using). Set aside.
5. Heat oil in a large skillet set over medium high heat. Add the patties a few at a time and cook for 1-2 minutes per side, until golden brown.
6. Bake the cakes for 15 minutes. Transfer to a platter and serve with lime wedges and the sweet chili sauce .