Pasta with Sweet Fennel Sausage & Digby Sea Scallops
Prep/Cook time: 15-20 minutes
½ box (10oz/300g) long pasta, I used good quality pappardelle – just can’t remember the brand
1 tbsp olive oil
3 sweet fennel Italian sausages
1 tbsp butter
1 cup cremini mushrooms sliced
1 lb/450g large Digby sea scallops
2 large cloves garlic, minced
Pinch of red chili pepper flakes
Juice of 1 lemon
Splash of Zinfindal or white wine
Handful of baby arugula leaves
1. Cook the pasta in salted water in a large Dutch oven as per package directions.
2. In the meantime, in a large skillet, pan grill the sausages over medium-high heat, 5 minutes per side. Remove from pan and slice in ½” rounds. If not cooked through, return to the pan until no longer pink. Remove with slotted spoon and reserve in a bowl.
3. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil and 1 tbsp butter to the fat in the skillet, and add the mushrooms. Cook until golden over medium high heat (4-5 minutes). Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and toss for another minute or two. Add to the sausages.
4. If needed, add a little more olive oil to the pan and sauté the scallops, wine and lemon juice over high heat, turning once. They only need 2-3 minutes per side. Add the sausage mixture just to heat through. Note: this step should be done when the pasta is almost done so that neither the pasta or the scallops are overcooked.
5. Drain the pasta and place in a large serving dish. Add the scallops and sausages, top with a heaping handful of arugula and toss. Taste for seasoning – you might need more lemon juice or chili pepper flakes.