Adapted from Second Helpings, Please with a twist from my mother-in-law
Prep time: 5 minutes
Rest time: 15 minutes
Baking time: 50-60 minutes
2 cups matzo meal
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 cup water
½ cup vegetable oil
4 large eggs
1. Combine matzo meal, salt & sugar in a large bowl.
2. Bring the water and oil to a boil in a small pot. Pour into the matzo meal and stir until the water is absorbed. Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Let the mixture sit for 15 minutes.
3. Preheat the oven to 400°F/200°C. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper for easy cleanup.
4. My mother-in-law’s tip: Divide the mixture into 10 or 12 equal portions before forming the batter (very thick) into balls.
Norene’s advice: oil your hands to keep the dough from sticking.
Ruth’s note: do this for each ball.
Mother-in-law’s way: Pat each ball to flatten somewhat (about ½”) and make a hole in the center – sort of like a bagel.
5. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until golden brown.