Chicken Meatloaf with Mushrooms & Beans
Adapted from The South Beach Diet: Supercharged
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour & 15-20 minutes
Rest time: 5-10 minutes (to reabsorb the juices and firm the loaf)
Serves 4-6 (great for next day lunches)
2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1½ cups onions, chopped (about 2 medium onions)
½ tsp dried thyme
½ tsp cayenne pepper
½ tsp paprika
½ tsp salt
¾ lb/340g mushrooms, chopped (I love cremini and was short so I added some Portobello caps to make up the difference – great woodsy flavor)
4 large cloves garlic, minced
1 can (15oz/415ml) Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained (I used Navy Beans)
1¼ lb/565g ground chicken/turkey*
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
½ cup fresh parsley, chopped
4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1. Preheat oven to 375°F/190°C. Lightly grease a loaf pan (8 x 4 x 2 ½”)
2. Mise on place:It really does make things simpler if you prepare all your ingredients before starting to cook. I used a food processor to chop whatever needed chopping…individually and removed to separate bowls waiting to be added to the recipe. Combine the Worcestershire sauce & Dijon mustard in a small bowl and set aside.
*I used boneless chicken breasts and removed any fat, cut into 2” chunks and then processed them using the pulse a few times. Chicken is delicate so it breaks down easily. I did them last so I wouldn’t have to wash the food processor between each “Chop”. Or you could just buy extra lean ground chicken or turkey.
3. Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté the onions, thyme, cayenne, paprika, salt & pepper, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes. Lower the heat a little and add the mushrooms and garlic. Sauté until mushrooms are soft (about 5 minutes) and then add the beans. Stir to combine and remove from heat. Transfer to a large bowl and let cool for about 5 minutes or so.
4. Add chicken, eggs, parsley and half the Worcestershire sauce mix. Mix well (I used my hands) to combine and then place in the prepared pan.
5. Bake in the center of the oven for 1 hour. Remove from oven and brush the top with the rest of the Worcestershire Sauce mix and return to oven for another 15 minutes or until a meat thermometer registers 180°F/82°C.
6. Remove from the oven, cover with foil and let the meatloaf rest before serving to reabsorb the juices and firm the loaf.