Spicy Shrimp Salad
Inspired by a recipe at Jamie' Ministry of Food "Pass It On"
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
12 large or extra large shrimp, peeled and deveined
a thumb-sized piece of fresh ginger
2 cloves of garlic
½ a fresh red chilli
2 spring onions
a small bunch of fresh coriander
2 tablespoons sesame oil
Juice of 1 lime
2 heaping handfuls of mixed greens (this bunch from the market even had some edible flowers)
2 tbsp fresh herbs, coarsely chopped (this time I used cilantro, mint and parsley)
¼ cup apple cider vinegar
1 heaping tsp honey Dijon mustard
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
Freshly ground pepper
1. Combine all the marinade ingredients in a food processor with a steel blade and pulse until a puree if formed.
2. Place the prepared shrimp in a bowl and toss with the marinade. Allow to sit at room temperature while you prepare the salad and dressing. Or refrigerate for no more than 20 minutes – the shrimp will “cook” otherwise and be rubbery.
3. Combine all the dressing ingredients in a small bowl and set aside until just before serving.
4. Combine all the salad ingredients in a large serving bowl and set aside.
5. Heat a non-stick skillet over high heat and once it’s very hot add a little oil and then toss in the shrimp and marinade. Sauté until the shrimp turn pink (just a couple of minutes should do). Remove from heat.
6. Toss the salad with the dressing, add the shrimp and any marinade that’s left in the pan (shouldn’t be more than a tablespoon), toss and serve.
Another option is to toss the sauteed shrimp with your favorite pasta....hot or cold = awesome.