Roasted Beets, Carrots & Potato Soup
Hands-on time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes (add 30-90 minutes to roast the beets which can be roasted 1-2 days before)
Roasted root vegetables…I had 1 large bunch of heirloom carrots, 1 bunch of large beets (making the soup very red), 4 large potatoes, 1 red onion that I had left over from the Roasted Veggie dish I made a couple of nights before.
8 cups chicken or vegetable broth (you might want more if you like a thinner soup)
1 bay leaf
Salt & pepper to taste
Note: I actually wanted to make a hearty lentil soup but added way too many vegetables and so just added a can of rinsed and drained canneli beans for some protein.
To roast veggies: preheat oven to 400°F/200°C
1. Scrub beets and toss with a little olive oil, salt & pepper
2. Roast until soft (depending on the size of the beets, anywhere from 30-90 minutes)
3. Once beets are cooked, allow them to cool enough to handle and peel
1. In a Dutch oven over medium-low heat, toss the cooked veggies with a little olive oil and add the broth.
2. Using an immersion blender, puree the vegetables right in the pot. If you find the soup too thick, add a little more broth. Simmer until ready to serve. Taste for seasoning.