Creamy Maccheroni & Cheese
From 250 True Italian Pasta Dishes
Hands on time: less than 5 minutes
Cooking time: as long as it takes to boil the pasta
1lb/450g maccheroini or penne (actually anything small that will hold onto the creamy sauce)
½ cup fresh ricotta
½ cup mascarpone
¼ cup Gorgonzola dolce (which, since I couldn’t find, I used more grated Parmigiano-Reggiano)
¼ cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
1 tbsp salt
Freshly ground pepper
1. Cook the pasta according to the package in salted boiling water.
2. In the meantime, combine the cheeses in a bowl and set aside for 15 minutes. (Ruth’s note: the book suggested using an electric mixer on low speed to beat until smooth, and I didn’t really read that step. It still was very creamy by adding some of the pasta cooking water and stirring with a wooden spoon.)
3. Once the pasta is cooked, drain well, reserving a cup of the pasta water.
4. Add the cooked pasta to the cheese mixture and toss to coat. This is when you might need some extra pasta water to get the consistency you like.
5. Transfer to a serving bowl, top with freshly ground black pepper and serve.