Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Spicy Crab Cakes

Spicy Crab Cakes
From: The $10 Gourmet My Honey says these are awesome

Printable Recipe

Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes

Serves 4

Ingredients
1 cup, canned crab meat (or fresh frozen crab meat if you can find some), drained
1 cup panko breadcrumbs
1 small red bell pepper, finely chopped
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tbsp liquid honey
1 tsp chili powder
½ tsp cayenne pepper
Salt & pepper to taste
3 tbsp olive oil

Directions
1. Combine everything BUT the olive oil in a bowl. Mix well and shape into 4 patties.
Ruth's Note: I added a step - place a layer of panko crumbs on a plate and place the delicate patties on top. Add some more panko and gently pat onto the patties.

2. Heat the oil in a sauté pan on medium-high heat. Carefully transfer the crab cakes to the pan and brown for 15 minutes, turning once.

Serve with flavored mayo (Ken suggests adding some wasabi). I served it over mixed greens with a blueberry balsamic vinaigrette.

2 comments:

Martha said...

Sounds wonderful Ruth! I have salmon cakes on the menu for tomorrow night - I think I'd rather have yours :-)

Ruth Daniels said...

Martha, I bet these would be delicious with salmon too. Thanks for dropping by.