Pecan & Panko Crusted Chicken with Orange & Apricot Glaze
From Rose Reisman's Family Favorites: Healthy Meals for Those Who Matter Most
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
4-6 skinless boneless chicken breasts (Ruth’s note: figure 1 per person)
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 tbsp low fat milk (or water)
¾ cup toasted pecans, finely chopped (or seasoned dry breadcrumbs)
1/3 cup panko crumbs
½ tsp garlic powder
1 tsp vegetable oil
2 tsp brown sugar
2 ½ tbsp orange marmalade (I think I might try some ginger marmalade next time, just for a slight change)
2 ½ tbsp apricot jam
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 ½ tbsp water
1 tbsp lemon juice (about ½ lemon)
2 tbsp toasted pecans, chopped
3 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped (parsley would work too)
3 tbsp dried apricots, chopped
1. Working with one breast at a time, place the chicken between two sheets of waxed paper and pound to an even ½” thickness. Set aside. Whisk together the egg and milk in a shallow dish. Set that aside too. In the bowl of a food processor, combine the toasted pecans, panko crumbs and garlic powder. Pulse to combine and set aside.
2. Preheat the oven to 325°F/160°C
3. Heat the oil in a large non stick skillet over medium high heat. Dip the pounded chicken into the egg mixture, then into the pecan mixture. Sauté for 1-2 minutes per side or just until browned on both sides.
4. Place the chicken in a casserole dish and bake for 5 minutes or until the chicken is no longer pink.
5. In the meantime, make the glaze by whisking together the brown sugar, marmalade, jam, Dijon, water and lemon juice in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for a minute or two. (Ruth’s note: I actually let it simmer a little longer to thicken it a bit).
6. To serve, pour the glaze over the chicken and garnish with pecans, cilantro and dried apricots.