Monday, May 24, 2010
Asparagus, Cheese & Spicy Walnut Pesto Omelet
Asparagus, Cheese & Walnut Pesto Omelets
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 4-5 minutes I like to make this in individual pans (non-stick preferred so they slip out easily), so I’ve done the ingredient list to help out. But if you’re making this for more, just turn it into a frittata to be baked in the oven in a large ovenproof pan – see note at the end.
4 large eggs, beaten (use two bowls – 2 eggs per bowl)
1 tsp olive oil per pan
1 tbsp (per pan) spicy walnut pesto (or whatever pesto you love)
3-4 sprigs asparagus, (per pan) tough ends snapped off
½ cup (per pan) Emmental, Gruyere cheese or whatever you prefer, coarsely grated
Directions The directions are for individual omelets – for two servings, use two pans.
1. Briefly steam asparagus spears. I use my microwave for about 30-40 seconds depending on the thickness of the spears and then stop the cooking process by plunging them into icy cold water for 30 seconds. Dry them off and set aside.
2. In separate bowls, whisk 2 eggs plus 1 tbsp pesto.
3. Heat 1 tsp oil in each small nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add egg mixture and cook until eggs are just set in center, tilting skillet and lifting edges of omelet with spatula to let uncooked portion flow underneath, 2-3 minutes.
4. Two options here, if you and yours, like the eggs really cooked, flip the egg “pancake” over first. Otherwise just sprinkle cheese over half of omelet, then top with asparagus spears.
5. Using spatula, fold uncovered half of omelet over cheese; slide onto plate. Sprinkle with a little freshly ground black pepper and serve. You could also sprinkle more cheese over it.
1. Preheat oven to 350°F/ 180°C
2. In a large bowl beat eggs with pesto and set aside.
3. Heat the olive oil over medium high heat, in a large ovenproof skillet and pour the egg mixture in. Let it set just for 2-3 minutes and then place the steamed asparagus over the eggs, sprinkle the cheese over the asparagus.
4. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until it’s set in the center and golden on top. If you do choose to do a thinner frittata, you probably will only need 10-15 minutes in the oven.
Season with salt and freshly ground pepper and serve.