Spinach & Cheese Stuffed Pasta Shells
Adapted from Italpasta’s Jumbo Shell’s package
Prep time: 30 minutes
Bake time: 30 minutes
1 box (12oz/340g) Jumbo pasta shells
24oz/700ml/3 cups tomato sauce (this time I used Classico Tuscan Style with olives & garlic)
2 eggs, beaten
28oz/800g ricotta cheese
8oz/227g provolone cheese, grated
1 cup Parmesiano Reggiano cheese, grated + extra for sprinkling on top
½ cup fresh basil, chopped
8oz/227g frozen spinach, defrosted and squeezed dry
Nutmeg, freshly ground (pinch or two)
1. Boil pasta in salted boiling water until slightly undercooked (almost al dente – about 6-8 minutes). It will continue to cook in the oven so don’t overdo it. Plus if the pasta is soft they will fall apart as you try to stuff them.
2. When ready, drain the pasta well and set aside to slightly cool.
3. Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C
4. In a large bowl combine all the filling ingredients until well blended.
5. Prepare the baking dish: large glass/pyrex/ceramic baking dish (like the one you’d use for lasagna). Place a thin layer of pasta sauce over the bottom of the dish. Stuff each shell using a large soupspoon and set on top of the sauce – cheese side up. Once all the shells are filled, ladle the sauce over the shells. Top with extra cheese – Parmesan or Parmesan/Mozzarella combination.
6. Bake for 30minutes. The top will be golden and it will be bubbling around the edges.
Serve with salad.