Risi e Bisi Couscous
Hands on time: 10 minutes
Resting time: 10 minutes
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 cup couscous (I like to use whole wheat couscous when I can find it)
1 ¼ cup hot chicken broth
½ - ¾ cup frozen peas
2 heaping tbsp fresh mint, chopped
Juice and zest of ½ large lemon
¼ - ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Sauté the onion until soft and translucent ( 3 minutes or so). Add the couscous and toss to “toast” for a minute or two.
2. While the onions are sautéing, heat the chicken broth in a small saucepan. Just before adding the hot broth to the couscous, add the frozen peas to the broth to heat through.
3. Pour the broth and peas into the couscous mixture in the skillet. Toss to combine and add the lemon juice & zest plus the chopped mint.
4. Transfer to a large bowl. Cover with foil and let rest for 5-10 minutes (until all the liquid has been absorbed and the couscous is soft).
5. Add the Parmesan cheese and salt and pepper to taste. Fluff and serve.
Great hot as a side dish or cold as part of a picnic or buffet.