From The Substitute Yourself Skinny Cookbook
While I must admit that these brownies are not as unforgettable as some of the other brownies I’ve made, these are much healthier, and much lower in calories. The book says a saving of 180 calories per square, so now you can handle your sweet tooth craving without the guilt…or the fat!
Hands on time: 5 minutes
Baking time: 20-30 minutes depending on how chewy you like your brownies.
Makes 16 brownies
Non stick cooking spray
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp sea salt
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup water
1 tsp instant coffee
1/3 cup applesauce
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 egg whites
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F/170°C. Spray an 8” square baking dish with non stick cooking spray. (Ruth’s note: I also cut some parchment paper to fit the bottom of the pan. Great for removing the brownies intact.)
2. In a mixing bowl, combine the cocoa, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar. Mix well and set aside.
3. In a small saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Remove from heat and add the coffee. Stir to dissolve.
4. In a small bowl, combine the applesauce, vanilla and egg whites. Mix well and add the coffee mixture and combine. Stir into the dry ingredients and mix well.
5. Pour the brownie mixture into the prepared dish. Bake for 20-30 minutes. Let it cool on a rack for 10 minutes or until cool. Run a knife around the edges to loosen. Ruth’s note: if you are using the parchment paper method, flip out of the pan onto a cutting board. Peel off the parchment, place another cutting board over the brownies. You now have the brownies sandwiched between boards. Flip so that the top is back …on top.
Cut into squares and serve.