From my recipe box on Epicurious.com
Hands-on time: 25 minutes
Marinate time: 6- 48 hours in the fridge
Grill time: 8-10 minutes
Resting time: 5 minutes
Serves 2-4, depending on your appetite
1 skirt steak
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp kosher salt
1 ½ tsp paprika
1 ½ tsp ground cumin
1 ½ tsp ground coriander
1 tsp black pepper
½ tsp ground cinnamon
Pinch of ground cloves
1 tbsp olive oil
1. In a small bowl, mash the garlic and then add the rest of the spices. Mix well and add the olive oil to form a paste. Set aside.
2. Prepare the skirt steak. Check here for step-by-step prep.
3. Rub the marinade paste on both sides of the skirt steak(s) and place them in a zip lock baggie. Marinate for at least 6 hours in the fridge, and up to 48 hours.
4. Before grilling, allow the steaks to come to room temperature (at least 30 minutes).
5. Grill steaks 3 minutes per side and then an additional minute at a time until it’s done to your liking. Total 8-10 for medium-rare.
6. “Resting” Chef Dennis Johnston’s tip: flip the side closest to the grill grates or pan onto a plate so that the meat sits hot side up. This ensures that the heat will rise into the air rather than go through the meat and continue to cook it. Place the plate in the fridge for 4-5 minutes. The center will retain the heat but the meat will be more tender than if you serve it hot off the grill.
7. Like flank steak or brisket, this tough cut of meat so remember to cut across the grain.
This time served with Farfalle with Lemon, Garlic, Parsley & Parmesan, but it will be awesome with a simple salad.