Grilled Thai Chicken Satay
From Basic Thai Cooking
Prep Time: 10 minutes + 20 minutes to soak bamboo skewers
Marinating Time: 30 minutes – 2 hours
Cook Time: 8-10 minutes
1 lb/450g boneless chicken breasts, cut in ½ inch strips
1/3 cup soy sauce
2 tbsp fresh lime juice
2 cloves garlic, minced
1-2 tsp fresh ginger, grated
¾ tsp red chili pepper flakes
2 tbsp water
¾ cup canned unsweetened coconut milk
1 tbsp creamy peanut butter
4 green onions with tops, cut into 1-inch pieces
1. Combine soy sauce, lime juice, garlic, ginger and red pepper flakes in small bowl. Reserve 3 tablespoons of the mixture for basting. Add water to remaining mixture. Pour over chicken; toss to coat well. Cover; marinate in refrigerator at least 30 minutes or up to 2 hours, stirring mixture occasionally.
2. Soak 8 (10- to 12-inch) bamboo skewers 20 minutes in cold water to prevent them from burning; drain. Prepare grill for direct cooking. (BBQ, grill pan, or broiler)
3. Meanwhile, for peanut sauce, combine coconut milk, 3 tablespoons reserved soy sauce mixture and peanut butter in small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 2 to 4 minutes or until sauce thickens. Keep warm.
4. Drain chicken. Weave 3 to 4 chicken strips accordion-style onto each skewer, alternating with green onion pieces. Brush chicken and onions with saved-for-basting marinade.
5. Grill skewers on uncovered grill for 6 to 8 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink, turning halfway through grilling time. Serve with warm peanut sauce for dipping and garnish with lime wedges