Vietnamese Marinated Steak
Adapted from Fearless in the Kitchen
Prep time: 5 minutes
Marinating time: 8-24 hours in fridge
Grill time: 8-10 minutes
Rest time: 5 minutes
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded & chopped
1 large clove garlic, minced
Juice of 1 lime
Zest of ½ lime
½ cup sherry
3 tbsp Asian fish sauce
½ tbsp black peppercorns, coarsely cracked
½ tbsp brown sugar
½ tbsp fresh ginger, grated
½ tbsp Hoisin sauce
3 whole cloves
½ tsp coriander seeds, crushed
¼ tsp allspice berries
2 strip loin steaks (or 1 flank steak or any other favorite steak of yours)
Garnish: fresh Thai basil leaves or cilantro leaves, chopped
1. To simplify the chopping… drop garlic, seeded jalapeno peppers, peeled ginger and quartered onion through the feeding tube of your food processor.
2. Pour all the marinade ingredients into a large ziplock baggie, add the meat, making sure to coat all over and place in the fridge. I always place the bag on a rimmed baking sheet or large plate to make sure there’s no dripping.
3. Preheat the BBQ or grill pan to high heat.
4. Remove steak from marinade, scraping off whole cloves, allspice, peppercorns and grill 3-4 minutes per side.
5. Place the steak on a plate (last side down on the grill is now up-side on the plate) and pop into the fridge for 4 minutes and an additional minute on the counter before serving.
Garnish with chopped Thai basil &/or cilantro leaves