Norene's Best Chocolate Chip Oatmeal CookiesFrom Norene's Healthy Kitchen
Hands-on time: 10 minutes
Baking time: 10-12 minutes
Makes 3 dozen or so
½ cup soft tub margarine
1 large egg
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
¼ cup granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
¾ cup whole wheat flour
1 ½ cup rolled oats (preferably large flake)
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/3 cup raisins or dried cranberries
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. In a food processor fitted with the steel blade (or large bowl using an electric mixer) beat the margarine, egg, sugars, and vanilla about 1 minute. Add the flour, rolled oats, baking soda, & salt. Process just until combined.
3. If you are using a food processor to this point, transfer to a large bowl. Stir in the fruit, chocolate chips and nuts (or whatever you fancy) with a rubber spatula.
4. I use a small ice-cream scoop, but you can use a soup spoon to drop the batter onto the prepared cookie sheets.
5. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until golden.
Norene says they freeze well for up to 4 months. They didn’t last 2 days on my counter!