Mushroom Meatloaf with Honey Chipotle Glaze
From fineCooking Magazine
For other options
Prep time: 20-30 minutes
Roasting time: 45-60 minutes
Resting time: 10 minutes
4oz/112g bread (Italian, French, Portuguese or sourdough – preferably stale, with crusts) cut into 2” pieces (about 2 ½ cups)
1 cup milk
1oz/28g dried wild mushrooms, reconstituted in 1 cup boiling water
½ cup shallots, finely chopped
½ cup fresh cremini mushrooms, finely chopped
2 large cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp olive oil
¼ cup sherry
¼ cup mushroom liquid
1 lb/450g ground veal
4oz/113g turkey fennel sausage, casings removed
12oz/340g ground beef
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
Freshly ground pepper
2-3 tbsp honey
¾ - 1 tbsp chipotle in adobo, pureed
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F/190°C. Line a 9x13 inch (22x33 cm) baking pan with parchment paper.
2. Soak the dried mushrooms in 1 cup boiling water for 10 minutes or until soft. Drain the mushrooms, reserving the cooking liquid. Chop the mushrooms and set aside.
3. Soak the bread cubes in 1 cup milk for 5-10 minutes. They should be soft but not falling apart. Lightly squeeze a handful at a time to remove some of the milk. Finely chop.
Cooking aromatics -
4. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium low heat. Add the finely chopped shallots, garlic, chopped reconstituted mushrooms & fresh cremini, toss with the oil and cook, stirring occasionally until the shallots are soft. (about 6-8 minutes).
5. Add the sherry & mushroom liquid & toss. Simmer briskly until almost dry (about 4-5 minutes). Transfer to a large bowl and allow to cool until warm.
Preparing the meat loaf
6. Add the meat, eggs, Worcestershire sauce, chopped bread, thyme & pepper to the bowl of aromatics. Gently mix all the ingredients until just combined. Try not to compact the mixture.
Tip from fineCooking …if you want to taste for flavor, heat a little oil in a small skillet over medium low heat. Form 1 tbsp into a small patty. When oil is hot, cook the patty on both sides until cooked through (they suggest 5 minutes) . Transfer to a plate and let cool slightly. Taste and then adjust seasoning as needed to the bowl of meat loaf mixture.
7. Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking pan and form into a 10x4inch (25x10cm) loaf.
Preparing the glaze
8. In a small cup, combine the honey and ½ the chipotle, Stir, taste and add more chipotle to your taste. Spread over the top of the meatloaf.
9. Roast at 375°F/190°C for 45-60 minutes. It’s done when the internal temperature is 160-165°F/71-72°C. If you don’t have a meat thermometer, slice into the center of the meatloaf. It should no longer be pink.
10. Lightly cover with foil and let rest on the counter for 10 minutes. Cut into 1 inch/2.5cm slices.
Serve with your favorite comfort food side. I roasted some baby new potatoes cut in half and sprinkled with fresh rosemary, sea salt & pepper and tossed with olive oil on a lined, rimmed cookie sheet during the last 15 minutes of the meatloaf cooking. Garlic mashed potatoes would be awesome too.