Marinated Hanger Steak with Dragon’s Breath Blue Cheese & Romaine Hearts
Adapted from Low-Salt DASH Dinners & Chef Craig Flinn's awesome vinaigrette
Hands-on time: 20 minutes
Marinating time: from 2 hours on the counter to 48 hours in the fridge (bring back to room temp before grilling
Cooking time: 10-20 minutes (hanger steak is thicker than flank steak, so will take longer to cook)
Resting Time: 5 minutes
Serves 4 - 6
Hanger steak (butchering how to) recipe works great with flank, skirt, tenderloin … and any grilling beef you choose.
½ cup red wine
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
2 tsp dry mustard
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp dried thyme or rosemary
2 tsp dried basil
3 large cloves garlic, finely minced
2 tsp freshly ground pepper
Romaine hearts, torn into bite sized chunks
1 sweet red pepper, seeded and cut into chunks
1/2 English cucumber, chunked
Dragon’s Breath Blue Cheese (from NS That Dutchman’s Cheese) Stilton Blue (this time I used Borgonzola)
Chef Craig Flinn's Awesome Vinaigrette
1. Prepare the hanger steak a la Dennis Johnston of fid resto in Halifax
2. In a large ziplock baggie, combine all the marinade ingredients and blend well. Add the prepared hanger steak (or whatever other cut you choose), coat well with the marinade and massage. You can let the meat marinate on the counter for a couple of hours before grilling or refrigerate for up to 48 hours. If refrigerating, bring the meat to room temperature before cooking.
3. To grill: bbq/ grill pan/ electric grill/ broiler… whatever you have – heat to high and grill for 3-4 minutes, turn the meat, lower the temp a bit and continue to grill for 4 minutes for medium rare. That's how long for flank steak, but hanger steak being thicker will require more time. Turn the heat down to medium so it will not char, and turn every 4 minutes until done to your liking.
4. Remove from the grill and place on a plate, flipping the hot side (closest to the grill) on top and refrigerate for 5 minutes. Then slice on the diagonal, across the grain to serve.
5. While the steaks are grilling, place the torn romaine hearts and chunks of red peppers & cucumbers into a large serving bowl. Toss with vinaigrette.
6. Once the steaks are sliced, place them on top of the salad and crumble the cheese over top.