Tuesday, April 05, 2011
Grilled Indian Shrimp with Garlic Fennel Dip
Adapted from Bal's Quick and Healthy Indian
Prep time: 15 minutes
Marinating time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 3-5 minutes
Serves 4 (or if you’re like us piggies… 2)
Garlic Fennel Dip:
4 tbsp grapeseed or canola oil
10 garlic cloves, unpeeled
¼ cup sour cream or yoghurt
2 tbsp flaxseed oil ( I actually used the roasted garlic oil)
1 tsp ground fennel
Pinch of salt
Pinch of Spanish (smoked) paprika
¼ cup plain yoghurt
1 tbsp garam masala
1 tsp fennel seeds (I like them ground, but you can leave them whole)
1 tsp ground cardamom
1 tsp Spanish paprika
Salt to taste
18-20 raw large shrimp, peeled & deveined
Garlic Fennel Dip:
1. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium low heat. Once the oil is hot, add the garlic cloves, toss and cook for 5 minutes or until the cloves are soft.
2. Remove the garlic from the heat and allow to cool. Remove the skins and mash the garlic with a fork.
3. In a medium bowl, combine the garlic, sour cream, oil, ground fennel, salt & paprika. Whisk until thoroughly combined and refrigerate until ready to serve. This can even be made much earlier in the day or the day before.
Grilled Shrimp: Bal cooks them on a bbq and skewers each shrimp separately so they won’t fall through the grate. I made mine indoors, so I didn’t bother. If you decide to bbq, remember to soak your bamboo skewers or use metal ones.
1. Combine everything except the shrimp in a medium sized bowl. Add the shrimp and toss to coat well. Cover and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
2. Preheat the grill (indoor or bbq). Thread the shrimp onto skewers if you are bbqing. You don’t have to if you use an indoor grill pan or electric grill. Cooking time will only take about 3-4 minutes. Turn once or twice. Shrimp are ready when pink.
Serve with lime wedges and Garlic Fennel Dip.