Tuesday, November 01, 2011
Moroccan Harira - Soup with Soul
From Canadian Living: The International Collection: Home-Cooked Meals From Around the World
Hands on time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour
1 large bunch fresh cilantro/coriander leaves
1 large bunch fresh Italian/flat leaf parsley
8 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1 cup dried green (or brown) lentils
2 cans (19oz/540ml) tomatoes drained, diced (I used diced fire roasted tomatoes & added the juice too)
1 can (19oz/540ml) chickpeas, drained & rinsed
2 onions, chopped
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp pepper
¼ cup lemon juice
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 lemon, thinly sliced
12 dates, pitted & halved
1 tbsp cinnamon (optional)
1. Chop ¼ cup each of cilantro & parsley and set aside. Tie together the remaining bunches and place in a Dutch oven. Add the broth and bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
2. Discard the herb bundle. Add the lentils, cover and cook for an additional 15 minutes .
3. Add tomatoes, chickpeas, onions, cinnamon, cumin, ginger, turmeric, and pepper. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
4. In a food processor or blender, puree 3 cups of the soup and return to the pot to heat through.
5. Stir in the lemon juice, olive oil and reserved chopped herbs.
Ladle into bowls and top with lemon slices and dates. Sprinkle with cinnamon.