Prep time: 15-20 minutes
Roasting time: 45-60 minutes (until no longer pink and internal temperature is 160 °F/71°C
Resting time: 10 minutes
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp butter
2 cups fresh cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
8oz/225g baby spinach leaves
2 lb/945g ground beef
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 small onion, finely chopped
¼ cup oatmeal (healthier than breadcrumbs)
2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
1 tbsp fresh rosemary leaves, chopped
Freshly ground pepper
Glaze:2-3 tbsp honey
1/2 - 1 tbsp chipotle in adobo, pureed
2. Heat a small skillet, over medium high , add the olive oil and butter. Swirl until the melted butter blends with the oil. This keeps the butter from burning. Saute the mushrooms and 1 tbsp fresh thyme until golden and the liquid totally absorbed. (about 5 minutes or so).
3. Wilt the spinach. I use the microwave, but you could use a steamer. Press out any excess liquid and coarsely chop. Add to the mushrooms in the skillet. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Turn off the heat but leave on the burner to make sure there is no liquid when you layer the meatloaf.Preparing the meat loaf
4. Combine all the meat loaf ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Divide roughly in half.
5. Place half the mixture into the plastic wrap lined loaf pan, making a well in the center for the filling.
6. Place the mushroom spinach mixture in the well, scooping it away from the edges. Before placing the rest of the meat mixture over top, take some bits to reinforce the wall. Cover completely with the rest of the meat mixture and make sure there are no gaps where the filling can leak out.
7. Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking pan - The easiest way to do this is to place the lined pan over the loaf pan and flip. Gently remove the loaf pan mold and the plastic wrap.
Preparing the glaze
8. In a small cup, combine the honey and ½ the chipotle, Stir, taste and add more chipotle to your taste. Spread over the top of the meatloaf.
9. Roast at 350°F/175°C for 45-60 minutes. It’s done when the internal temperature is 160-165°F/71-72°C. If you don’t have a meat thermometer, slice into the center of the meatloaf. It should no longer be pink.
10. Lightly cover with foil and let rest on the counter for 10 minutes. Cut into 1 inch/2.5cm slices.
Serve with your favorite comfort food side.
Thyme "roasted" Sweet Potatoes
Roasted Rosemary New Potatoes
Garlic mashed potatoes would be awesome too. Just throw a couple of peeled garlic cloves into the water along with the potatoes. Drain and mash adding butter, milk, salt & pepper or whatever your favorite extras.