Prep time: 5 minutes (perhaps longer to pit olives) Roasting time: 40 minutes or so Putting it all together: 5 minutesMakes 2 cups
Ingredients: 2 large eggplants 1-2 largegarlic heads 1cupkalamata olives, rinsed and pitted 6tbspextra virgin olive oil juice of 1/2 lemon (or more to taste0 1/2 - 1 tsp freshly ground pepper freshly chopped cilantro, parsley or mint for garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F/220°C and line a rimmed baking sheet with foil. Generously oil the baking sheet.
2. Cut eggplant in half lengthwise. Cut top off garlic to expose cloves. Place the eggplants, cut side down, on the baking sheet. Wrap the garlic in tin foil pouch - first drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil.
3. Roast in oven for 40 minutes or until very tender. Let cool slightly.
4. Scoop eggplant flesh and squeeze out garlic into food processor. Add Kalamata olives and oil; purée. Taste and add as much pepper and lemon juice as you like.
5. Transfer to small bowl; cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or for up to 48 hours. Sprinkle with chopped herbs..