Friday, February 01, 2013
Light Chicken Schnitzel - herbs & cheese make it special
Prep time: 10 minutes plus time in the fridge – up to 1 hourBake time: 8-10 minutes or until no longer pink inside – don’t overdo or it will be very dry)
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, butterflied and pounded flat to even out the surface
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
½ cup Panko crumbs (or whatever kind of bread crumbs you like)
1 tsp dried herbs (I used Epices de Cru Dionysios Wild Herb Blend)
½ tsp garlic powder
1 large egg, beaten with 1 tbsp olive oil
olive oil to drizzle over fillets before baking
Fresh lemon juice to drizzle before serving
Sliced lemon, for serving
Chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, for garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F/200°C degrees. Line a lipped baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Butterfly chicken: starting at the thickest edge of the breast, cut through most of the chicken and open the flap. The piece should now be twice as big but only half as thick. Cover with parchment paper or plastic wrap and pound it out to ¼- inch thick and even all around.
3. Mix the breadcrumbs, cheese, herbs & garlic powder in a bowl and transfer to a large plate or cutting board large enough to place the breasts flat. In a medium sized bowl, beat the egg and 1 tablespoon oil.
4. Dip each chicken breast first in the egg mixture and then lay on the bread-crumb mixture. Coat both sides of the chicken fillets well.
4. Let the breaded chicken rest in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to keep the coating on the chicken.
5. Transfer the chilled chicken to the prepared baking sheet and drizzle with a little olive oil.
6. Bake the chicken for 8-10 minutes or until still juicy but no longer pink inside. The outside should be golden. If not, place under the broiler for a minute or two.
Serve one chicken breast on each plate, drizzle with lemon juice and serve with sliced lemon and a sprinkling of fresh parsley.