Thursday, August 21, 2014
Salmon & Green Vegetables en Papiotte
Adapted from Martha Stewart
Prep time 15 minutes
Roasting time 8-10 minutes
2 sheets of parchment paper 12"x17"/30cm x 43cm
1 cup thinly sliced mushrooms (this time fresh shitake, next time perhaps a mix of wild mushrooms)
4-5 sprigs fresh asparagus spears, trimmed and halved length-wise, or handful of baby spinach leaves or whatever leafy green veg is in season
4 scallions/green onions, thinly sliced
1/4 cup good extra virgin olive oil
salt & freshly gr black or Aleppo pepper
1/2 lemon, zest & juice
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar or, white wine or water
2 skinless salmon fillets
1. Preheat oven to 400F/200C. Cut two sheets of parchment and fold in half across the width, make a crease and unfold. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, toss the vegetables (if you are using spinach or other leafy greens) leave out the mushrooms initially) with the oil, lemon juice & zest, salt & pepper.
3. Lay the asparagus or greens in the center of half of each sheet of parchment. Place one fillet on top of the asparagus or greens. Toss the mushrooms and green onions in the remaining lemon & oil mixture. Top the salmon with half of the mushroom mix per sheet. Drizzle each fillet with 1 tablespoon of either apple cider vinegar, white wine or water).
4. Seal each package: Fold the unfilled side of parchment over the salmon & vegetables. Make small overlapping pleats starting at one end and working your way around to seal the open sides.
5. Place two packets on a rimmed baking sheet in the center of the oven and bake for 9 -10 minutes. If you are doubling the recipe, you will need to use 2 baking sheets. Do not try to crowd 4 packets on one sheet.
6. To serve, carefully cut open the packets with kitchen shears. There will be lots of steam, so "carefully" is not just a suggestion. Serve with lemon wedges.