I'm not actually sure if this is the photo that goes with my hand-written scribble recipe, but since all flank steak recipes seem to look alike, I thought it would do until I make it again.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Marinating time: 4-24 hours in the fridge
Grill time: 8-10 minutes
Rest time: 5 minutes
Serves 2-4 (depending on your appetite)
Flank steak ( or skirt or hanger steaks), lightly slashed across the grain
1 canned chipotle chili pepper, pureed (about 1 tbsp) http://askruth.blogspot.ca/2006/12/can-i-freeze-this.html
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
1/4c vegetable or olive oil
1/2 c lime juice ( 2-4 limes, depending on how juicy)
3 canned chipotle chilis, pureed (3 tbsp)
1/4 c honey
2 tsp peanut, grapeseed or vegetable oil
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp Dijon mustard
10 tbsp lime juice
3 cloves garlic, peeled
1 tsp ground cumin
pinch of salt
chopped cilantro for garnish
1. Combine all the marinade ingredients in a large zip lock baggie. Add the flank steak and coat well.
2. Marinate in the fridge for at least 4 hours and as long as 24 hours. Turn occasionally so that the marinade is absorbed on both sides. I usually put the baggie on a rimmed baking sheet or large platter avoiding any drippage.
3. Combine all the sauce ingredients in a food processor and pulse until smooth. Set aside. (You can make it when you make the marinade or just before grilling).
4. Grill steak 3-4 minutes a side or longer if you like it well done.
5. Let it rest for 5 minutes, tented with foil
6. Slice across the grain and serve with sauce on the side.
Leftovers (should you have any - I sometimes make an extra flank steak just for that purpose) are great with a salad or in wraps.